Friday, October 18, 2013

Enthusiasm

I was recently listening to an EntreLeadership podcast and loved some of the content I heard. Well, I loved all of the content but I especially enjoyed one piece of information.

The person being interviewed is the CEO of a large privately held theme park company. He said that the enthusiasm of his guests' experience would never exceed the enthusiasm of his employees.  Now, he probably said it a little better than that but you get the idea.

The reason I really liked hearing this is that I have heard it before, many times. I am a student of sales above anything else. Although I am developing as a leader, my first successes came in sales. One thing that I was taught and has always stuck with me is that selling is a transference of feeling.  If I am excited about my product, my customer will be excited about the product. OR - If I am negative about my product, my customer will be negative about my product. Basically, if you have a great attitude it is going to rub off on others.  While this makes perfect sense to me for sales and in general, I have never applied to it my business very well for service.

I operate a local alarm company and have employees that go out to install and service our systems. I have discussed with them many times their importance. I have explained that they are the face of the company and their personal interaction with customers is what makes us better than other companies. I am fortunate that my team members do this on their own.

But I have neglected to truly convey this message in the way it was conveyed on the podcast.  My team members need to do more than just have a great attitude. They need to be excited about the products we are installing. They need to have an enthusiasm for the service we are providing. They need to know that our life safety products literally save lives. They need to understand that our camera systems allow business owners to more effectively run their business. They need to understand that our alarm systems give moms and dads peace of mind, knowing their children are safe. They need to really understand these concepts and go out everyday with an excitement for the role they serve.

More importantly, I need to help convey this message to them. To be a leader in the excitement and find ways to show them the impact they make on peoples lives.

When I am asked what sets us apart from our competitors, I always say our service. But what I need to say is what sets us apart is our PEOPLE. Our people care about what they do. Our people are the best that you can find. Our people have an excitement and passion that you can't help loving. And I need to make sure that is true!

I will be more intentional with my message to team members and find ways to foster excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment