Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Sacrifice

Sacrifice

Sacrifice is such an important concept for life. Whether you are talking about business, career, family, religion, friendship, or just about anything, sacrifice plays a huge role in our lives. We may refer to it in different ways and sometimes not even realize sacrifice is involved, but it really is one true constant.

Today I sacrificed an extra hour of sleep in order to exercise. This sacrifice was to reach a goal that I have set for myself.

Recently, I sacrificed my own personal gain to reward an employee that I felt deserved extra pay. He had done an exceptional job and I felt he deserved a reward. So I paid him a bonus that otherwise would have been money I could have paid myself.

In the past, I sacrificed entire summers in order to develop myself in sales, schedule, communication, business, and so many other things. I would sacrifice days at the pool, travelling opportunities, time with friends, time with family, and so much more.

As a child, I sacrificed 40% of any money I earned to put it in savings. My dad required all of my brothers and sisters to do the same thing. It was so hard as a kid to earn $10 and only be able to spend $4 (the other 10% went to tithing).

BUT

All of this sacrifice means something. Sacrifice generally causes a greater good.

When I sacrificed my sleep, I gained health.

When I sacrificed own personal paycheck, I gained loyalty and appreciation from my employee.

When I sacrificed my summers, I gained experiences and knowledge that I couldn't have gotten anywhere else. I set myself up for future success.

When I sacrificed my own earnings to my savings, I gained a financial discipline that has allowed me to succeed in life in ways very few of my friends have. I was also sacrificing for myself, as that 50% was going into my own savings account.

I learned in college (while selling door to door), that successful people learn to do the things that unsuccessful people don't like doing.  Things like exercise, sharing, working extra hours, delayed gratification, all of these can be unpleasant.  But when you do these things, when you do the things that others are unwilling to do, you can be extremely successful.

This doesn't just apply to business, although it definitely is true. When you are willing to forgive a person even when you really don't want to, you will be successful. Perhaps you will be successful in sleeping at night, or reducing stress, or maybe even by developing a friendship that would have otherwise died.

I know that I am successful in so many areas of my life because I have been willing to do the things that others were not.  I would challenge anyone to look at their life. Whether it is your career, your family, your friends, any of them. If there is any area where you aren't as successful as you would like, ask yourself if you have sacrificed. If you have been willing to do the things that others were not.  Or did you take the shortcuts. Did you take the path of least resistance and end up exactly where you deserved?

Sacrifice. Get to know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment