Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Wake Surfing in November

Growing up I was always a little shy around the water. I never considered myself a strong swimmer and didn't have too much experience with water sports. But I did a lot of canoeing, swimming, kayaking, etc, just always a little tentatively.  I liked the idea of boating and watersports but I always said I just wanted to have a friend with a boat.

Well, after getting to boat a few times and learning how to water ski, my wife and I decided to purchase our first boat just before we got married. 4 years later we are on our 3rd boat and you can find me on the water most weekends.

I had the pleasure of going down to Alabama this past weekend and getting on the water with a good friend of mine.  The air temp was about 75 and the water temp was 74.  Everyone acted like we were crazy but it honestly wasn't very cold at all. It turned out to be a really nice temperature and an awesome time on the water.  We just did a little bit of wake surfing but it was a blast.

There is something about getting on the water when you think the season has ended already that is very satisfying. I spent all summer trying to successfully complete a 360 on the surf board but I just couldn't get it done. I gave it a couple more tries and came close, but it was the same old story.  It had been a few weeks since I had been on the water so it reinvigorated by excitement for boating.

My wife and I are expecting our first child in the spring, a little girl who will no doubt because a water sports addict.  I know it will be tough to get as much water time with a newborn, but I am determined to make it happen.  I get so much enjoyment from boating I want to have it as a family activity for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment