Thursday, February 23, 2012

Asking the Right Questions

I go on a lot of sales calls.  One minute I will be in someones living room talking about their personal safety.  Another minute I might be in someones office talking about their computers. And yet another minute I might be sitting around our conference room talking to someone about their website and online marketing.  In any of these situations, my goal is to sell them something.  Yes, I could call it something else or put a more positive spin on it.  But the reality is I am trying to sell them a product or service.

What continues to amaze people is the information I am able to gather while on these sales calls.  It starts with personal items.  Just yesterday I learned the owner of a business I was talking to took 5 years to pursue golf as a career before he turned 40.  He was playing every tournament he could and trying to get into the pros.  It didn't work.  But where it all leads is to how I can help this person or business with my product or service and how we are going to make it happen.  The way that I accomplish this is by asking the right questions, in the right way.

I'm sure someone has said this before, it has probably been taught to me specifically.  But I don't remember an exact lesson with that title or message - asking the right questions in the right way.  Often times, the right question is an invasive question.  You are probably asking something that the prospect feels they shouldn't tell you.  Perfect example - how much are you willing to spend?  Could you imagine if every prospect you dealt with told you exactly what they are willing to spend. You could give them the perfect offering and earn their business every time!  But prospects don't want to do that, they want to hear your price first and then decide if they want to do business.

Yet, I regularly walk out of a sales call with my prospects number.  It isn't always easy.  But by asking the right questions in the right way, I am able to get all the information I'm looking for, without making the prospect feel uncomfortable.

I'm sure you want more detail.  Well it depends on your industry. But you need to slow down and determine if you are asking the right questions in the right way.  What kind of reactions are you getting from prospects when you ask questions?  Are they open with you or defensive? Do they fold their arms and block you out? Or do they lean in and share more than they expected to?

Listen, evaluate, improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment