Thursday, November 3, 2011

I changed my own oil!

I was taught in my early teens how to change to oil on my vehicle and have pretty much always done it myself.  As I get older and busier there is more temptation to pay someone to do it.  In fact, I have done that on multiple occasions but only if I find a good deal on it.  It is just too easy of a task for me not to do it on my own.  Many times I build it up in my head as a difficult task until that point that I almost take it somewhere.  But then my cheap side comes out and forces me to do it.  Afterwards, I know it was worth it.

Some of my critics say it's not worth the time.  I'm not sure if they aren't as handy as I am, but unless you change vehicles for every oil change and have to re-learn how to do it, it shouldn't take much time at all.  I changed mine one night this week after getting home from work.  It was probably a total of 20 minutes to complete the entire job.  I know it was done right and I felt a sense of accomplishment.  It was easy and took my mind off of the other hundreds of items I deal with on a daily basis.

I've been to other places for an oil change, and not many of them would have done it in any less time that I did.  And I always seem to second guess what they are up to.  Did they really put in the right oil?  Did the put in enough oil?  Did they tighten everything up correctly?  It's just not the same as doing it myself.

So the point it, right now it makes sense for me to change my own oil sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment