Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Man in the Mirror

I think that most people would agree, it is easier to see fault in others than it is to see your own faults.  People are quick to point out problems or shortcomings of others, myself included.  I have developed over time a very strong self confidence.  I am curious if other people think that I am unaware of shortcomings because of my confidence.

The truth is that I am very aware of most failures that I have.  I believe one of my strengths is being very self aware and also having an understanding of how actions and words affect people.    I feel like I have the ability to put myself in other peoples shoes and understand the thoughts or reactions they would have to a situation.  Anyone that knows me is probably asking, if that's the case, why are you so rude sometimes? I feel like I understand, that doesn't mean I always care!

So my curiosity is if I am as self aware as I think I am.  And also, are other people more self aware than I think they are.  On average, I feel like most people don't have a clue what type of person they really are.  I know that I have so much to learn and develop.  I try on a constant basis to develop myself in ways that allow me to be a better person, a better leader, a better husband, etc, etc.  It's not easy. And I'm not always making progress.  And sometimes I take a couple steps in the wrong direction.  But overall, I am so far ahead now than I was a few years ago.

I hope that you can say the same about yourself.  That you are aware of your strengths and weaknesses.  That you are making a conscience effort to improve on your weaknesses and continue to develop your strengths.

Try looking in the mirror, decide what it is you want to improve about yourself (not just physically).  Then create a plan to make that improvement. And most important of all, execute the plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment