Monday, January 2, 2012

Food Inc.

So my wife and I had a gathering at our place for New Year's Eve.  I kept explaining it was just a gathering, but everyone kept acting like it was a party.  Either way we had a good time.  So the day after was spent cleaning the house as quickly as we could, and then relaxing on the couch.  We found entertainment in the documentary section on Netflix.  After I watched a great story called Pulling John, my wife got involved and said she had to pick the next one.  Food Inc.

It was an extremely interesting documentary about food.  The changes in how our food is produced.  How instrumental corn has become in all things food.  The government policies and involvement in food.  Overall, I really enjoyed watching it and took away quite a bit.

I'm not one to worry about where my food comes from.  And I didn't have some drastic change in thinking that is going to change my diet completely.  As my wife sat there feeling sorry for some of the  animals and cringing as they were killed, I was more interested in the difference of processed vs organic.  I was more interested in how businesses are responding to the market.  I was especially disgusted by one business using its money and power to bully farmers when it came to patented seeds.

What did appeal to me was the call to vote with what we buy.  I do believe we should eat healthy food and we certainly shouldn't have of fear possible death from the food we eat.  As a business owner, I want to support other local businesses.  I think what is important is for them to be able to compete financially.  Sometimes, it is just too expensive to support local businesses.  But I do know I will be making more of an effort in the future.

One part of the documentary had Wal-Mart employees going to an organic farm.  The owner or person from the farm immediately commented about how she had never been to Wal-Mart.  Personally, I support supply and demand.  Customers are demanding organic options so Wal-Mart is delivering it.  I'm fine with any business that does not desire to be in Wal-Mart, but I think the person in the movie came across and ignorant with her comments.  She had an attitude of superiority.

Overall, I enjoyed the documentary and took away an attitude of wanting to buy more local.  I hope we can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment