Monday, January 23, 2012

Tennessee Tornado

We get a decent amount of tornadoes in TN.  Not too much, but enough that we have tornado sirens installed near our house!

I'm not sure if I have ever heard them before but last night I definitely did.  I'm not a light sleeper by any means so I was actually woken up by my wife.  But once I awake I was able to hear what a tornado siren sounds like.  I would compare it to the sounds I imagine used to go off when we were concerned about bombs during world war I and II.  Just like in the movies.

We have a 2 story townhouse and the safest place during a tornado would be in our downstairs bathroom or closet underneath the stairs.  My wife was rightfully concerned (there were sirens going off!) so she spend a couple of hours hunkered down in our bathroom, waiting the storm out.  She told me I could stay in bed if I wanted to, but I'm assuming she probably didn't want me to.  Unfortunately, I was sleeping in my underwear and the thought of getting up, getting dressed, and going downstairs was not appealing to me.  So I stayed right where I was.

Turns out no tornado ripped our house from the ground and threw me across the street in my underwear. For this, I am very thankful.  I'm not too sure if my wife will be mad at me or not.  But for now we are both fine and the house is still standing!

No comments:

Post a Comment