Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day 8 - Positive Thoughts

Last night I ran 3 miles on our treadmill.  I just cruised through it and finished in 28 minutes.  I recently completed a 5K outdoors in 26 minutes, so I obviously wasn't pushing myself for this little run at home.  But it felt great just to jump on and knock it out.

I believe I am an extremely hard worker but working out has never been a hobby of mine.  I prefer physical activity like playing sports much more than going to the gym.  So it is a mental challenge to get my exercise/workouts done.  I am always better off if I just force myself to start.  Then I feel so good when I finish.

So what is positive about all this?  I set a goal at the beginning of the year to weigh 175.  I was around 185 and wanted to get that down.  I'm currently averaging 177 so I'm happy about that.  I believe with a little more focus (exercise is pretty consistent, need to improve my diet a little bit) I can hit 175.  I'm even thinking 170 might be a better goal at this point.

Also, this past weekend I went running outside and completed 5.4 miles.  I don't think I have run that far (just running) since high school.  And even then I'm not sure I did that.  We used to run a 3 mile loop for warm up before soccer.  I only walked about 1/10 of a mile during that run and that was because it was a ridiculous hill at the end of the run.  It felt really good to complete this run and I am going to try and do it again.  I know that jumping on the treadmill for a 1 mile run doesn't really do too much for me by itself, and I used to do that for my sole exercise for the day.  Glad I am past that.

Anyways, I'm doing all this for a couple reasons.  1.) to be healthy. 2.) to get in shape and play soccer again.

Can't wait to be back on a soccer field!

No comments:

Post a Comment