Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Scary Experience- Highway Spin!

A few months ago I was driving home and found myself in a scary situation.  I was on I-65 heading north and this section of the interstate is 4 lanes wide.  I was in the second lane from the left.  I was going about 75 mph.  My wife was actually in her own car just ahead of me on to our right was a tractor trailer.  The interstate was extremely busy but there was a decent amount of traffic.

Without any warning at all, the tractor trailer next to me decided to merge quickly into my lane.  This is where I made a poor decision.  I feel like I am a great driver and tend to stay very aware of my surroundings.  I should have slowed down while staying in the same lane but I decided to slow down and quickly jerk the wheel to the left as to avoid the back end of the tractor trailer.  I knew there was not a car beside me and I made a small turn of the wheel, not enough to go too far.

But unfortunately, my speed, quick turn and almost bald tires combined to create a terrible situation.  After jerking the car to the left, I straightened the wheel directly forward.  At this point, the rear end broke loose from the road and spun me around the opposite direction I had turned the wheel.  I found myself out of control on a 4 lane interstate still travelling about 65 mph!  As I spun around things seemed to happen in slow motion.  I was turned completely around facing oncoming traffic and there were cars in every lane.  My tires were screeching and I could smell burning rubber.  I felt like the car stopped while facing the opposite direction, but I know it actually continued to spin around and I completed a full circle.  Somehow, every single car was able to avoid hitting me and my sliding car stopped on the opposite shoulder from where I started the spin.  My car was now facing the correct direction again and had shut itself off.

Almost shaking, I got out of my car and checked over everything.  I was alive, my car was untouched and my tires hadn't blown out.  I couldn't believe what had happened.  I had to sit there for a minute to gain my composure and then I drove home.  I've had many adventures or scary situations, but this was by far the worst so far.

If you are headed north on I-65, at just the right spot, you can still see me tire tread spun perfectly in a circle right in the middle of the interstate!

No comments:

Post a Comment