Friday, December 30, 2011

The Power of the Internet

Technology has had an amazing effect on our country and how we are able to communicate information.  At the same time, many people talk about the huge divide between those with money and power and those without it.  It is also a little scary how large and powerful some of are corporations have become.

But there are a few incidents this year that I believe are inspiring as to the power of the people.  Examples of how we can use technology to communicate and control what corporations do and say.

1. Netflix and Flixter- We are all familiar with the rates increases and horrible plan to separate movie streaming and dvd's in the mail.  Netflix lost over 800,000 subscribers and completely scrapped the plan to create a new business for the DVD's in the mail.  Now Netflix has millions of subscribers and the rate increases probably paid for themselves and the lost customers multiple times over.  But the message was clear, people didn't want was Netflix was trying to offer, so Netflix had to adjust.

2. Bank of America and other large banks charging debit card fees - This year every large, national bank announced plans to charge for customers having debit cards.  This was very entertaining to me because my wife works at a local bank and we actually get a great interest rate with our checking account, specifically when we use a debit card!  But again, people came together and communicated the dissatisfaction with this plan.  I don't know 100% who is and who isn't charging at this point, but for the most part the banks backed off and scrapped the plan.

3. Verizon Wireless - I love Verizon's service.  I hate the stronghold they have over their customers.  When they announced a fee for $2 for online and phone payments it was ridiculous.  My friend who works at Verizon even commented on how stupid the plan was.  I don't know the exact day and time this was announced, but I do know I read about at 7am in the morning.  By 4pm of the same day, Verizon scrapped the plan because of the customer outrage.

Can this work for our government too? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment