Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day 2 - Positive Thoughts

I volunteer as a Big Brother.  I've always thought it would be a great experience and had thought about doing it for a couple of years.  Well, I finally started at the end of 2011 and have been matched with a 15 year old for over 4 months.  Yesterday we got together and played basketball at a local park.  Basketball is typically our go to activity because I know he will enjoy it.

I spend so much time working that I feel its important to have a social life and other activities outside of work.  Because I am self employed I was able to leave the office around 3 in the afternoon and go spend time with my Little yesterday.

It is always a positive experience when I get together with my Little and hope he feels the same way.  Even after 4 months, we haven't had any kind of breakthrough experience or developed some bond for life.  Right now, we get together every week (sometimes I mess that schedule up, but I try) and we spend 1-2 hours together.  I know I walk away with a good feeling and I believe he enjoys himself each time.

At 27 I feel like I still have a lot of time to give.  Being a Big is a great experience so far but I don't know what I will do as a volunteer long term.  But I do know I will make time for something.  Both for the people I am trying to help and for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment