Friday, March 23, 2012

Leadership Training

As I grow and develop my company, I want the people in it to grow and develop.  So last night we held our first training designed specifically to develop our future leaders.  We identified the individuals that have stepped up to the plate at work and have shown that they have the desire to be part of our organization for a long time.

Of course, since it was the first training it didn't go perfectly.  We got a late start and we ran late.  But the great thing was that no one seemed to mind running late.  We had a great discussion about what we wanted to accomplish and we focused on teachings from John Maxwell.

Our main topic was The Law of the Lid.  It is a fairly simple principle that so few people are ever taught.  But picture a graph with desire to succeed / hard work on the horizontal axis and ability to lead on the vertical axis.  An individual is limited by his ability to lead.  Take me for example, I am a sales professional.  I have been formally selling since 19.  I have been selling my ideas and myself my entire life.  I've always used words to get the things I want.  According to the law of the lid, no matter how talented of a sales person I become I will reach a lid.  And getting to 100% perfection in sales would be extremely difficult.  But if I develop the ability to lead others I can multiply my potential and opportunity.  Much more so than just developing sales skills.

I have been intentionally trying to improve my ability to lead others.  I can honestly look back and say I have improved a great deal just in the past year.  I can also say I have a long way to go.  And that is what's so exciting to me. Because I know I can improve.  Because I understand the Law of the Lid.  Because I am working to improve, I will have more success in life.

Do you understand your lid?  What are you doing to change it?

No comments:

Post a Comment