Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Sales Training - My First Paid Speaking Engagement

This past weekend I had the pleasure of training 10 individuals on sales.  My main focus was door to door sales but we covered a lot of general principles that are valid with any type of sales.  It was very exciting for me because it was my first training for outside companies and I was paid to do it!

I had talked with a local business owner last year about my experience and he wanted my knowledge.  Well, his neighbor is also in a service based business and they sell their service door to door.  So they came to me a couple months ago asking if I would be willing to hold a training.  I liked the idea but I didn't know when I would have the time.  We decided on a 4 hour training and negotiated a price, but then we just kind of talked about.

Eventually I decided I actually wanted to do it so I set a date for this past Saturday and everything came together at that point.  We had 10 people in attendance (this was a Saturday morning) so I was impressed.  I thought it went really well but I need to get more feedback from the participating businesses.  I did learn I should have added in one more break.  And I wanted to do more role playing but we really didn't have the time.  So I gave them all a lot of information but I was concerned about how well they would execute.

The good news is that the boss was there for most of them so hopefully he will reinforce and follow up with everything they learned.  I've always thought it would be fun to get paid for speaking. At 27 I'm excited to have a set of skills that allows me to actually do it.  I love speaking and training and I wouldn't doubt that I do it more in the future for outside companies. Of course I will do it for my own companies all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment